Scam Alert! Avoiding an email scam
Email scams find their way into hundreds of inboxes daily. We even receive a few of them in ours! Here’s what to look out for….
- Scammers usually will not direct an e-mail to your establishment individually – look out for generic greetings like “Hello Dear”.
- They will insist on paying by credit card only.
- The quotations requested are for a longer period – thereby making the booking sound very attractive.
- No guest names are mentioned, or location, or the name of your property.
- Once you reply and start interacting to secure the reservation, they’ll introduce the problem: Usually involving a 3rd party who needs to get paid. Their solution: they pay all the money to you and you pay the other suppliers — via a bank transfer, usually. And this is of course how they catch you out!! You transfer real cash — and their cheque or credit card turns out to be fake or stolen, so the money gets reversed our of your account.
Here are example emails and more details: Click for Scam Spotting Tips
The Most Important Tip to Remember:
NEVER refund money via EFT if received through another channel. Rather cancel the cheque or cancel the credit card payments received